Updating the printer’s firmware is a must so that your printer keeps working smoothly and carries out all the operations without any errors. These updates are usually released by the manufacturer to increase the efficiency of the printer and also, fix the bugs that occurred in the previous version of the firmware. It keeps your printer or scanner healthy. In case you are not sure how to update printer and scanner firmware, this article will be helpful. Check out the step-by-step guide to update printer and scanner’s firmware.
Reasons for Updating Firmware
Firmware can be defined as the program or software that controls the working of all the hardware components. The firmware updates are released so that the devices remain updated and also, remove the bugs that occurred in the previous version of the firmware. Other than this, it will help you to protect the product from and security threats. Below we have mentioned some reasons for updating the firmware of your printer or scanner.
- The very basic reason is that with each update, some new features are added and some old features are repaired.
- Next, updating the firmware will help you to keep your hardware healthy and save a lot of costly repairs.
- Lastly, updating firmware can also help you to make sure that the firmware is compatible with the hardware and also, can be integrated into another hardware when needed.
Step to Update Printer’s Firmware for Windows
It is a must to know that the process to update the firmware in Windows and Mac is completely different. So, you need to follow the steps according to the operating system that you are using. In case you are a Windows user, here are all the steps that you need to follow.
- To start with, you need to print the test page and make sure that your printer is working fine. For this, press the print test page option or you can simply choose any document on your system and print it. In case you are trying to update the scanner’s firmware, skip this step.
- Next, you will have to download the Firmware update tool on the system. For this, you need to visit the official website of your manufacturer.
- After this, open the location where you have stored the firmware file and then click on it open the tool.
- Now, you will have three options: Run, cancel, or save. You need to choose the Run option. A security prompt may appear on the screen and you need to choose the Run option.
- Once done, a prompt will appear on the screen listing all the connected devices and you need to click on your machine and choose to continue.
Always remember that there are chances that the process may not be complete because of small issues like the power or no internet. In such situations, you will have to carry out the process again.
- Next, you need to click on the I accept option if an information prompt will appear on the screen.
- There are chances that you will see a prompt in which information regarding all the data to be deleted is mentioned. If you agree, choose the I agree with option.
- After this, you will have to enter the password of your machine and click on the Ok button.
- Wait for the firmware to download and install.
- You will then have two options: continue and finish. In case you wish to update the firmware for some other device, choose to continue and if not, choose done.
Step to Update Printer’s Firmware for Mac
Now, if you are a Mac user, here are all the steps that you need to follow.
- Same as Windows, you need to print a test page to make sure that your printer is working.
- Simply, then download the firmware update tool on the system from the manufacturer’s website.
- Now, you will have to open the folder in which it is saved.
- Next, click on the icon of the firmwareupdatetool.pkg or brmainXXXX.dmg file.
- After this, choose the continue option and redirect to the welcome window. In case a prompt appears asking the users for which you wish to install it, choose the continue option.
- Once done, choose the install option. In case asked, enter the password required. If you are not aware of what the system password is, we suggest you seek help from apple care.
- Next, you need to choose the FirmwareUpdater.jar file.
- After this, you may get a prompt saying: To use the java-jar firmwareupadter.jar, you will have to install JDK, then follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to java.com and look for the Java SE development kit. You will have to download it on the system.
- Now, follow all the instructions appearing on the screen to complete the installation process.
- When done, choose the language and click on the continue option.
- In the end, you need to choose the type of connection between the system and the internet and then choose to continue.
To Wind Up
It is simple to update the firmware for your printer and scanner if all the steps are followed properly. We have tried to explain the full process in detail. We hope that this article has helped you.